Friday, June 6, 2008
Have a very Vermonty time with 4 Feet Running! This week:
- Nik and Dan and their dogs are in glorious Burlington, Vt., for a week
- Nik prepares to run her 4th 26.2-miler, the Keybank Vermont City Marathon
- It should be beautiful in Vermont this time of year -- all that snow...
- Somehow Dan gets a free marathon T-shirt even though he doesn't run the race
- They keep an eye out for Burlington nudists
- Nik and Dan discuss their training plans, bicycling through Canada, science vs. yoga, and why no one ever runs out of Chapstick
- Nik has a great time running the race
- She talks about what it's like running 2 marathons in 1 month, and Dan talks about how he grunts when he runs
- They get some great feedback from very nice people
The Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon and Kick the Couch 5K
The Zen Run 10K
Vermont City Marathon results and more
The Ben & Jerry's factory
Go to Burlington why dontcha?
...they have a university there...
...but watch out for the nudists
Some other people who went to Vermont and had a good time
Download this episode from iTunes, leave a comment or check us out on Podcast Alley, or give us a Digg. And feel free to call us, send us e-mail or leave a comment here!
We took Myrna and Stanley (not pictured) with us to Vermont. Isn't that cozy -- boy girl, boy girl.
Burlington is on Lake Champlain, which looks real pretty.
The dogs liked the waterfront too.
Lake Champlain is a lot more moister than it looks when seen up close.
About 8,000 people ran the race, marathoners and relay racers (Nik didn't have updated figures when we recorded the podcast).
The official race photos left a lot to be desired. For example, can you spot where Nik is in this photo?
Here's a great one of her keeping her back straight and using yoga breathing.
Can you spot where Nik is in this photo as she crosses the finish line? (Hint: She's not wearing a green shirt!)
There was a good crowd for the Vermont City Marathon, turning Burlington from a one-horse town to a two-horse town.
Dan kept Stanley & Myrna away from the crowd just in case these vicious beasts tried to eat a stray child or two.
Nik had a great run, though it wasn't a PR, and got a medal that weighs a wicked lot.
But she kept thinking about ice cream the whole time.
So they went to Waterbury, Vt., where the ice cream comes from.
And they put in their orders.
And ordered waffle cones.
They hiked to the top of Mount Philo, which has amazing views of the Lake Champlain valley.
The dogs were pretty good with the hiking.
But they preferred to nap. So we did.
Posted by Dan at 1:47 PM