Saturday, February 16, 2008
Accidents will happen in the 28th episode of 4 Feet Running with Nik and Dan -- it's the special Half at the Hamptons episode! This week:
- Nik and Dan find themselves pretty much all alone in deserted Hampton Beach, NH, where Nik's running the town's first half-marathon
- Nik reveals her super identity, and it stinks
- Dan and Nik describe her strange stint in jury duty involving Mrs. Magoo, a fall into a grave, and a stinky bath mat
- Dan tries to figure out what to do with himself in a town where everything including the McDonald's is boarded up for the winter
- Nik has a great half-marathon time
- Other people don't do so well at all -- there are two drastic accidents
- Nik and Dan do a scared and worried post-race wrapup in the car
- Then they drive the hell home as fast as they can
Nik's half-marathon results here
complete Half at the Hampton here at Cool Runnings
The loco company who put on the race
Where the hell is Hampton Beach?
Ricky Gervais' old radio show
Tall Guy Robert
Download this episode from iTunes, leave a comment or check us out on Podcast Alley, or give us a Digg. And feel free to send us e-mail or leave a comment here!
On the way to New Hampshire, Dan and Nik bought some of the first fast food they've had in years. Hey, it was cheap and available...
On the way to Hampton Beach, Dan wonders if somehow they've gotten turned around and ended up in Miami.
Hampton Beach ... um ... probably is more of a summer place.
Hampton Beach's water slide, near the hotel, is pretty much frozen solid.
The beach is also pretty much frozen solid.
Nik goes for a walk around the boardwalk to check out the nightlife, or to see if, in fact, there's anyone else alive in the town limits.
You thought we were kidding about the bird poop on the calzone and pizza stand?
This statue near the hotel depicts a woman staring out at the sea, waiting patiently for the arrival of summer and the ritual Taking Down of the Plywood Off the McDonald's.
Nik and Dan go for a stroll along the snowy beach, which is also populated by fairies and sprites.
Nik prepares to run the Half at the Hamptons with her Amphipod bottle full of fruit-punch-flavored Powerade, which she wasn't crazy about.
She has a big smile on her face before the race. Notice: before the race -- before heart attacks and collapsed scaffolding.
Nik starts to run, keeping in her sights the brightest red wool hat in the world.
The race ends rather tragically, with one man dying and a woman being caught under a collapsing metal structure, seen here. A small group of people are standing around her and directing runners crossing the finish line around her.
But Nik still had a great run.
Posted by Dan at 11:35 AM